Diigo Links

Saturday, May 04, 2002

Hyoscine Hydrobromide


Have you ever had a little too much to drink, get home late and all you want to do is go to sleep? You close your eyes and the room starts spinning. I've got the cure for that.


I started sailing this year. I got invited to crew on a 26ft Endeavor class out of the Sydney Amateur Sailing Club. I hadn't sailed very much at all until this year. I've been out fishing on the Monterey Bay a couple times and fishing in Sydney Harbour a couple times. One of the things I can always count on is getting seasick if the swell comes up. So when I started sailing I wanted be sure to have fun and not end up hurling over the side. I picked up some "Kwells" - anti-motionsickness pills. I made a habit of popping a Kwell before I went out on the boat and never had a problem with the seasickness. But I also noticed that if I had a big night after sailing (which is common enough as we sailed on Saturdays) I'd get home, and no matter what condition I was in, I wouldn't spin.



Nowadays if I know I'm having a night out, and I might end up "on the turps" as they say in the local parlance, I try to pop a Kwells before going out - and as I learned last night, it'll also work if you take it when you get home - with the caveat that you have to keep your eyes open for about an hour while they start working.


Now, I'm no chemist, so be sure to consult your doctor to determine if either alcahol or motionsickness pills are safe for you. And I'm not making any suggestions that you aughta go out and get smashed just to try this. And I wouldn't suggest that this in any way makes it safe to drive after you've been drinking. I'm just saying, if you happen to go sailing, take some of these seasickness pills, so that if you go out drinking that night it'll be safe to go to sleep. Remember, pills, sailing, drinking, sleep is the correct order of events. Never the other way around. And all of this in moderation - too much sailing can cause scurvy.