Diigo Links

Monday, May 06, 2002

Made you look


I think I sent out an email today inviting some folks to come see this new web creation I've come up with. And I say "I think" because I seem to remember including myself in the "send to" list, but I haven't gotten an email from myself yet. Hmm.



So what's this all about anyway? I guess there's a few answers to that. Communication, publishing, writing, family, friends, laziness. This thing here you're reading is called a "blog" (short for web log). I stumbled upon blogs a few months back. I can't remember where - CNN or something I think. I started trying to figure out how all these people could keep such tidy running lists of daily events and links and stuff. I didn't start to wonder why they were doing it until later. I finally got around to www.blogger.com where you can just log on to the web and publish to your site. It's about as easy as using email. And they have templates you choose for your own look-and-feel. I'm a pretty terrible graphic designer type person, so that was a big plus.



Why do people blog? I guess a lot of people just have obscure hobbies, and if only a handful of people in the world are into what you're into, the best way to keep in touch is a website. Also there are a lot of writers that use web logs as a form of publishing. Personally I haven't found one writer's blog that's seemed at all interesting. I'd much rather spend my time looking at sites where you can see things you've never seen before like on www.whowouldbuythat.com. The funny stuff people are into!



And I guess for me it's an easy way to keep in touch with any of the many people I know but don't live close to. I can use it to share links like these cool 360degree pictures of Sydney. Or I can gripe about dog owners in the city, or I can share a hangover recipe or a recent rendezvous with an owl. It's the next best thing to having your own radio station or newspaper. And it's a journal. I haven't kept any kind of journal for a really long time and I'm finding I like it. I work on this computer all day long, and sometimes stuff just comes to me that I want to write down and tell somebody; "I'm 31 years old and I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch today - tragic."

No comments: