Diigo Links

Monday, May 06, 2002

Two new rules for life in the big city:



1. All dog owners are required not only to pick up every mess their dog makes, but every dog-mess they encounter while on their walk.

2. Smokers, same rule, but with butts.



It's very easy to understand what people are thinking when they leave these things behind. Unfortunately it's not "en vogue" today to demonstrate to these people the err of their ways (however great the temptation). This is not "but for the grace of God there go I" kind of stuff. It's more like "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" kind of stuff. But it's not stones that I'm considering throwing.



We've been having the most outstanding weather this past week. Today is cloudless, cool and still (all summer with the wind, fall's stillness is nice). I went for a run at lunch all along the cliffs to Marubra. Very nice. Yesterday I went with some friends out west near Windsor to a moto-trials event at a private motorcycle park. It's a lot like Sonoma county out there, and again warm, sunny and still (a little more wind would have been nice actually. There was lots of two-stroke exhaust hanging in the valley.) I got on one of the guys' moto-trials bikes. I always thought I'd really want one if I ever rode one. But I got on it, and it's just so much craziness - supper responsive throttle, extra tricky clutch, crazy-strong brakes and just a little heavier than my bicycle - a sure recipe for disaster. I got off it easily and without envy, a little surprised.