Diigo Links

Wednesday, July 10, 2002

We've been had



C's bike got nicked from our garage day before yesterday. It just feels bad. There's nothing good about it really.


I got a quick lesson in Australian stolen property law this morning on the phone with a friend who owns a bike store. He says that you can pinch a bike, take it to the next town, and convert it to cash at any Cash Converters or pawn shop. The pawn shops record the serial number, but don't do anything with it. Then, they have to hold the bike for several weeks to allow people to claim it if it's stolen. But most often they put the bikes in storage or ship them to yet another pawn shop further away. So they don't check with the police, the police don't check with them - it's just a dead end.


To add insult to injury the pawn shops are entitled to recoup their invenstment if you do happen to show up and find your stolen bike in their window. So you're expected to pay the price they paid the theif for your property - plus any administrative fee the pawn shop wants to lop on.


Part of me wants to actually go out and look for the bike, just for the hunt. But I really don't have the time for it, and the more I think about it the worse I feel. So, I figure I've written enough about it. We'll take what steps we can to secure whats left of our belongings, and move on.

No comments: