Diigo Links

Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Cobblers


We made a cherry cobbler this weekend. I'm not sure I realized it until now, but it was kind of a subliminal Thanksgiving
dish - the only hint of that holiday in our everyday life. Australia celebrates Thanksgiving less than it celebrates
Halloween (in that it doesn't recognize it at all). I guess that makes sense, but I'm not sure how we're supposed to
realize it's time to start Christmas shopping without Thanksgiving to queue us. And the 95degF heat isn't helping me
get in the Christmas spirit either. I'm not complaining about the heat. I've been waiting for this summer for months,
but it's just not the right time of year for cobbers and turkeys and hams. It's more chips and salsa weather.
This is the time of year when Australians start ordering beer in the
"middy"(looks like a juice glass)
instead of the "schooner"(not quite a pint)
so that they can get through the whole beer before it gets warm.


Oh, and by the way, we put the drink recipe (below) to the test with a few friends.
3 out of 4 found it undrinkable - although I should say we were out of ginger beer,
so substituted tonic water (which took away the spice and the sweet and made the drink dry and bitter).
So, the younger palates in the room balked while I and the other revelers (of a certain age) found it quite acceptable.
I'll be working on perfecting the anise/tonic recipe, but have little hope that it will gain widespread acceptance
in Australia (maybe it would have a chance in Mediterranean Europe. I'll have to work on putting together a marketing tour).

No comments: