Diigo Links

Tuesday, January 07, 2003

Bowling



Just a few quick links. Went to see "Bowling for Columbine". This got me wondering why it is that there are somewhere around 11000 gun deaths/year in the US (@ 280million people) whereas there are only 63 in Canada (@30 million with more guns per family than in the US). Keep in mind that I'm getting these figures from a movie I just saw - I'm not sure where/how he got his figures and I'm not sure how accurately I remember them. But close enough.


What I wanted to know is how gun deaths in the US compare to other types of deaths (automotive crashes, smoking, diet, etc). I found this website that seems to start on that answer - www.trinity.edu/~mkearl/death-2.html - but right in the middle of this website is a link to www.whosaliveandwhosdead.com - which is so handy to know about if you find yourself wondering who's still alive from the Hogan's Heroes cast, or if Art Carney is still alive (he is according to the website). Very handy little site.


And somehow a conversation about audio - we seem to be having a lot of them lately - led me back to Ryoji Ikeda - a Japanese minimalist composer. I picked up some of his stuff from some friends and eventually got around to listening to it and found it to be magical. I didn't know the concept at the time, but came to find out today that the sounds are meant to be moved through - anyway - free "music" here - you be the judge.



And one last link to the Excitement Machine's link page for links to some of the coolest of cool on the internet e.g. The Arcata Police log (featuring actual man bites dog story), Bootleg Action Figures, and Mr. Monkey's Index of Famous Monkeys.

No comments: