Diigo Links

Monday, March 10, 2003

Just bought a CD by the very trendy bonnie 'prince' billy called "master and everyone" and it has a lush little snip of a poem in the liner notes that I'm digesting - here, taste:




The Gypsy

(S.M. Maggioni)



Who my father was, what country I'm from,

In vain the people ask me.

The first never existed and my home...

The earth that gives me fruits and flowers.





Wherever destiny leads me,

I find a smile, I find a love.

Why should I worry about thoughts of the past

When the hours of the present are glad to my heart?




It's true that tomorrow could cast a turbid veil over

The serene breezes waiting for me.

But if today, my skies are all blue,

Why should I worry about things that may not happen?




I am a plant, never frozen or bare,

That defies even the harshest winter.

If a leaf falls here, another will grow in it's place.

In every season I am full of flowers!




I think that sounds pretty good. Somebody has some father/fatherland issues, but they're workin' it out, you know?
This poem reminds me of something by Nietzsche that I mentioned here a while back:




Remorse.-- Never yield to remorse, but at once tell yourself: remorse would simply mean adding to the
first act of stupidity a second.



from Nietzsche's The Wanderer and his Shadow,s. 323, R.J. Hollingdale transl.


These themes of living life right now and living it "correctly" keep rolling through my head. It's tough stuff for a lazy-ish person like myself. Maybe I'm not lazy. It's more like I seem to make myself available to opportunities in life, so things just seem to work out (luck). It makes me wonder why some folks feel like they have to control everything around them. I think I distrust that - like second guessing fate. But how could anyone trust luck? Oh ya, Faith. But that's a whole other story...

No comments: