Diigo Links

Thursday, April 03, 2003

Bangkok and SARS


Who hasn't heard of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome? If you haven't you've had your head in the sand, or you're not in Asia. 50% of the people in the Bangkok airport today were wearing surgical type masks. It was really freaky. In the Singapore airport (where I am right now) the number is more like 25%, which is odd b.c. Singapore has seen deaths from SARS whereas Thailand hasn't yet. So, last week I spent a whole seven days in Singapore while this killer virus was spooling up in the region. I have another couple weeks before I'm free from worry about it. It can take up to ten days to show up. So, we'll see. It's a terrible thought, but with so many people wearing masks it's hard not to think about.


Bangkok was outstanding. I'd like to go back some day (probably won't have a choice). It's dirty and smell and the traffic is horrible, but there's a lot of life there. And there's so much going on. It makes Singapore look sleepy (which it kinda is). And the guy who was showing me to the various work sites was keen for me to see the Thailand outside of Bangkok - and so am I. But imagine that'll have to wait a bit longer. This year is already overbooked with holidays.


I'm back in Sydney tomorrow and can't wait to be home. It'll be nice to see friends, but I will miss the full buffet breakfast. I'm a sucker for waffles and all-you-can-eat scrambled eggs.

No comments: