Diigo Links

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Saw I-robot last night. It's fairly flat and plastic. I guess there are a lot of Audis in the future. I think I felt for the robot more than the people. And we were in a bar prior to the movie which was showing "Winged Migration"; the film where the camera follows birds in migration and that's all it's about. Haunting and powerful from what I saw of it. At least as powerful as I-robot. Essentially the same message about technology.


I'm a little afraid people are going to get the wrong idea walking away from I-robot though. I find myself falling more and more into the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" camp. If you walk away from I-robot as an anti-technologist (or anti-robot) you've probably missed Asimov's main idea: we're not the reasonable people we think we are. Listen to this humbling talk by Yale University's Frank Keil - The misunderstood limits of folk science: An Illusion of Explanatory Depth  -requires Flash; pretty much says we're willing to assume we know how things work in order to allow ourselves time to do other things. It took me down a notch (always a good thing).

No comments: