Diigo Links

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Movie Review: V for Vendetta

This is a "movie", it's adapted from a graphic novel. If I'd called it a "film" I think we'd be taking it too seriously. But I did have to think about it. It's a close call. If you see V is for Vendetta without your thinking cap on, you'll be missing a lot of what it has to offer.

V is for Vocabulary. You might study up on your V words. Special say should stress a sententious soliloquy setup solely so as to stress the significance of a certain letter, V. That's not the only bit of writing too clever and dense to be absorbed in one viewing. This movie is dripping with topical and confronting issues, right up there with Team America World Police.

V for Vendetta will appeal/upset/confuse a similar audience to Team America. But V goes two steps further. Step 1: It's live action, not puppets. Step 2: Instead of coming down equally on all sides ( Google "Team America" +"three types of people" ), V for Vendetta places blame squarely on the inaction and silence of regular people.

I think the movie could be helped by offering the following quotes on-screen during the opening credits:


"First they came for the communists, but I was not a communist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing. Then they came for the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me." Pastor Martin Niemöller



The worst crimes were dared by a few, willed by more and tolerated by all. ~Tacitus


In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. Martin Luther King, Jr.


I am not blaming those who are resolved to rule, only those who show an even greater readiness to submit. ~Thucydides



But no matter who you are, or what your ideology, you'll be left asking a lot of questions after seeing V. In that, I think a pretty bold mission has been accomplished.

No comments: