Diigo Links

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Tree Storage


This is a picture of half a loaf of bread (and some other bit and bobs) stuck in the crotch of a tree. I don't see this often, but I have seen it before.

These would be the belongings of someone who lives outdoors in the city. The surreal Dali'esq image of something synthetic stuck in the crotch of a tree made me laugh at first. But it was a cold morning, and the next feeling I had was one of admiration for the ingenuity. Then I wondered about how "secure" that bread is and what sort of expectation this person has for coming back to this food. Then I thought of other things, like squirrels and birds, that commonly store things in trees.

Then I started to think about how long people must have been storing things in trees, and pre-people people. And I wondered if its not the most natural thing to do

No comments: