Diigo Links

Monday, October 16, 2006

Saturday, Oct 14, 37degC and not a cloud in the sky. I think I've washed our car twice in the two years we've owned it. So yesterday when there was a small river of water running down our street ( poor planning by construction workers up the street ), I decided to wash the car.
What happens on Sunday, Oct 15th? It rains.

Two things:
1. We're in the middle of the worst drought ever. For the last four years I've been saving drips and drops of water here and there, only watering on the days we're allowed to water... I'd estimate the City of Sydney has about 100 people on salary as water cops, driving around town in Toyota Priui trying to bust people for using water. Then, in one avoidable accident, thousands of gallons of water ran down the drain for several hours, thousands. Tragic.

2. These same thousands of gallons were followed by thousands more when it rained. None of which were in any way captured and used.

I think the city and state governments should be brought before the water cops for the negligence to capture rain water. This far into a drought there's no excuse. And maybe more to blame for lack of leadership on this front is the federal government. Swimming in pools of surplus tax revenue, surely there could be a federal incentive to catchment.

Instead the federal government is using the water issue for political mileage with flicks like: "water has always been a state responsibility…" read: "Don't ask us Libs. Ask Labour, the drought is their fault". When pressed: "but mister Liberal Federal minister, rivers don't respect state boundaries" we get backpedaling, faff, shuffle, dodge, repeat. That's not the type of leadership we see on defense, labour reform, uranium mining, media ownership law reform, good and services tax reform, immigration reform, history curriculum reform, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission reform, or Telstra privatization. Why can't we see some leadership on water? Why can't this chronically paternalistic government tell us what's best for us with regards to water? Is it too much of an environmentalist issue? Or is it a convenient problem they can use to erode support for the last bastion of Labour dominance in government, State politics? Give me my share of the surplus back if I get catchment for the house. I'm only asking for my own money back. It's that simple.


UPDATE: just two days later I'm walking past another group of workers standing around an open trench looking nervous. As I walk by I can hear the telltale hiss of a broken gas main. At this rate I might have to admit that the Liberals are correct when they say: "The single biggest threat to our environment is not Man, it's labour.

No comments: