Diigo Links

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Gift


I've been given "hand, foot, and mouth" by my little one. If you're not familiar with "hand, foot, and mouth" and you don't have kids, don't worry too much about it. Just know it's very unpleasant but not at all related to "hoof and mouth" that cows get. If you do have kids, you should look it up. Silliliy, I didn't know enough about it to prevent my getting it. Summary of symptoms: Flu + blisters in the locations mentioned. So, mouth sores. Ouch. Trying to explain to somebody who can't talk why they should eat through this sort of pain is impossible. Result: not eating, not much sleeping, lots of crying.

So, I've set the stage to say something. Yesterday I had flu-like symptoms and was taking care of our sick little baby. No doubt about it, even with all the help I did get, it was difficult. But it was still a better day than I would have had had I gone in to the office. It was lovely and had moments of serenity, moments of real sincere family. I'm not sure how long I would go on thinking a day sick at home better than a day in the office. But that it could happen once I think is saying something.

And that's that. I've resigned at work. My last day is at the end of the month. I've been given the opportunity to take a year to be with the kids (in sickness and in health). I'm very much looking forward to some of the healthy days too.

No comments: