Diigo Links

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dostoyevsky's Ivan to his brother Karamazov

Ivan to his brother:
"?Listen: if all have to suffer so as to buy eternal harmony by their suffering, what have children to do with it - tell me please? It is entirely incomprehensible why they should have to buy harmony by their sufferings. Why should they, too, be used as dung for someone else?s future harmony?
....
I don?t want harmony ? too high a price has been placed on harmony. We cannot afford to pay so much for admission. And therefore I hasten to return my ticket of admission ? It?s not God that I do not accept, Alyosha. I merely most respectfully return him the ticket."


"If the sufferings of children go to make up the sum of sufferings which is necessary for the purchase of truth, then I say beforehand that the entire truth is not worth such a price....we cannot afford to pay so much for admission....it is not God that I do not accept. I merely most respectfully return him the ticket."

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

No comments: